Friday, May 27, 2011

Wk4 Reading: The Art of Possibilities Chapters 9-12

I like to give my students choices with their art projects. Sometimes that extra freedom can bring the attitude of the student from ho-hum to wow. The project becomes more engaging to them, thus creating something better than what the original assignment would be. I will try to get permission from at least one of those students so that I may post a picture of what the assignment calls for and what that student created instead. Sometimes letting them go and discover is the best way to ignite that sometimes hidden creativity and passion. This is something that I should learn to do more of in my everyday life, especially while working with the more challenging students.

Sometimes it is hard to remember that some things are just better done in person.
, especially in this day and age of texting and social networking. Even my husband and I have found ourselves instant messaging on Facebook even though we are sitting right next to each other. Observers would no doubt wonder about our synchronized laughing and smiling as we view links and joke.

The concept of being the board and placing no blame on anyone is foreign and strange. It sounds great but needs practice, especially in the heat of an issue. I would really like to read this chapter several times to really drill it in and remember to practice it.
This is a wonderful and interesting book that I will read over and over to help me correct mistakes, give more of myself and to help others give more as well.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny how we as a society have used these social networking tools to become more connected with some individuals and more disconnected with other. Like anything they are a useful tool. I agree that somethings are just better done in person. Like digestion...................It's better done IN person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this book has been a great read, a must have for educators. I need to step back and consider what is possible. Not going for what is easy, but what will show more appreciation to the people around us. You made me laugh about IMing your husband....I regretfully admit that I have done that MANY times :)

    ReplyDelete