Saturday, May 14, 2011

Wk2 Reading Comment 2 on

Judy De Los Santos said...

Wow, you are already contributing so much to your students and they seem to be learning about contribution without you saying anything to them. Being a good role model for the students and teachers seems to really make a difference.

I too have been guilty of procrastinating on a project, only to turn around and make an excellent grade back in the day. What could our work have looked like if we had taken the time to begin early and pace ourselves?
May 14, 2011 1:08 PM



Blog Post by Rowdy Granado:
Saturday, May 14, 2011
Wk2 Reading: Art of Possibility Chapters 1 – 4
In reading “The Art of Possibility” I found some great ideals and practices that I wholeheartedly agreed with. I loved the positive nature and aspect of it.

I never really looked at what I did as working in that manner, but when I teach my class, I suppose that I give my students an ‘A’ to begin with, even though I do not openly express this to them by saying, “Each of you has an ‘A’ this semester,” I do give them that freedom and flexibility to learn and grow according to their style of learning.

When instructing in my course, I enjoy showing the students real world examples, but challenge them to don't copy these ideas, come up with their own, create their own path and don't be afraid of making something bad. I show them several videos I created that were horrible, but then show them what I learned from making such terrible videos. And to not worry about the critique they will receive as they are being creative in their writing or shooting. I encourage them to try new things, new techniques. When I show them the basic rules of shooting and editing, the basic shot types, I let them know that these are not rules to me, they are guidelines and it is ok to color outside the lines. I tell them that there will always be critics, but to always allow open mindedness, hear what is being said and take from it what you can to help you grow.

When Roz told the story of how she waited until the very last moment to turn in her paper, but still received an A, I found myself thinking back to my days in college and how I did that exact thing. When I see my students today do the same thing, I find that I do not look at them as Roz’s teacher looked at her. I see that the students, or my few that work in this manner, are very creative and passionate for the subject at hand and are simply assessing which direction they wish to take their project. They relish in the pressures of last minute and the fire of creativity and pushing themselves, almost a challenge to be under the gun. Now, do I think this should be done with each project, no. but as Roz stated in the book, her teacher should have challenged her to begin work earlier, plan a little better and make it a challenge to see what could have grown from this type of work. I have found myself doing the same with my students, looking at their good work that was turned in at the very last minute and have challenged them to expand on it, see how they can make it better, more creative, can they incorporate more elements, go deeper with the subject, the characters.

This book is great in the sense that it puts into words many of the things that I feel are natural in learning and fostering learning that I could never express in words myself and sometimes don’t even notice I do in this manner until reading it on paper, or computer screen. In a sense I feel validated in my approach and manner in which I teach my students.

I particularly enjoyed the chapter on contribution as I felt the same feelings Ben felt when he spoke of his visit to the elderly home. I am involved in many things in my school and take on many roles, wear lots of hats. Often I feel over extended and feel like I have no time to get anything else done. But, as the old man at the end of his story asked why Ben would bother to come there and waste time with a bunch of old folks, he gave them a great answer, “But so much has happened since…” I had a couple of people come to me recently and ask, how do you stay so positive, and have so much willingness to help with everything you take on?” I simply said, “because the kids see that I do it without complaining of feeling that I have to be here, but I do it because I want to help, be there for those that may need help.” After reading this chapter, I see that it is my contributions to my school and my students that make others notice how they can be involved and help. And when that student comes up and says, “Coach, do you need any help with anything?” and then it turns into a handful of students willing to help and volunteer their time without being asked.
They are learning to contribute without even knowing what impact they are providing.
Posted by Rowdy319 at 11:15 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment