Thursday, May 19, 2011

Wk3 Reading The Art of Possibilities 5-8

Chapter 5 had me thinking about how much we can learn about ourselves and our teaching by having those you teach observe you. I am now trying to see myself through their eyes and asking them about their input into the class.
Rule number 6 is a good one to live by in everyday life. Observations about situations in my school have in a way forced me to retreat into my classroom, staying away from other teachers. There are many good reasons for this. I try not to things too seriously around me, although it can be difficult to do on occasion.
I’ve never been the negative type and always try to see things in a better light than they appear. Being negative can be draining to the body and soul and also to those around us. Having a good sense of humor helps. Seeing things the way they are with a hint of humor and a good nature is always beneficial. Reminding ourselves to see things that way is at times a challenge.
As a fine arts teacher, passion for the subject comes naturally and projecting that passion to students is a must. There are days (many lately) when I am just so exhausted that the passion is elusive, and it makes a difference. My students are more alert and attentive when I teach with passion than when not. I would like to make it an everyday thing.

3 comments:

  1. Judy, I know exactly what you mean about being exhausted. I gave my last exam on Wednesday and now I have to do all those end of the year things and do some proctoring for EOC courses. I agree about the passion tending to come naturally for teaching Art. Why bother teaching something if you don’t really have any vested interest in it, right? I like your idea of getting more student feedback. Although, sometimes with high school I’m afraid what might come out of some of my student’s mouths, after what I get when I don’t ask for feedback and the more opinionated ones just give it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On those days when we are tired and that passion is elusive it is hard to get the students as alert and attentive. I am always surprised by how much the classroom atmosphere comes from the teacher's attitude and passion. When we don't have those for whatever reason the students realize this (maybe consciously or subconsciously). You made really good points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on Rule #6. I stress to my students, and there is a sign on my wall that says, “You can’t be positive if you are negative.” When they start their negative comments and start to have low self esteem, I would always point to that sign and read it aloud to them. Then one of my students would ask if you are negative you can’t be positive, and I would tell them that you are exactly right. I always felt that negative energy brings negative results. I like to associate myself around positive influences as much as I can and I , as often as I can, relay this message to my students.

    ReplyDelete