Friday, May 6, 2011

Media Asset Creation Month 11- Week 1 Comments on Copyright Issues

Comment 1 to Jennifer Castro

Jennifer Castro says:
May 3, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I have recently had a “discussion” with colleagues over copyright. These teachers had written a grant to improve motivation to read through a program they created. Within this program, they wanted to create a video very similar to the one made by Ocoee Middle School and Full Sail using a different song but a similar message. Since I am the music teacher, they asked for my opinion on the song. I asked if they had researched the copyright issues. They told me they did not have to worry about copyright because it was for education. Obviously I argued that this was not correct and that being educators did not stop us from following the law. Needless to say, I was viewed as a dream killer but I know that this project would have run into some major issues if they did not get permission from the song writers/performers. I’m not sure what has actually become of this project but I have not heard anything about it since our discussion about copyright.
Reply

Judy De Los Santos says:
May 7, 2011 at 12:17 am

Copyright in education is a tricky area. I too have heard that it is okay to use bits and pieces of somebody’s work as long as it is for educational purposes and is changed a bit. I believe you should be seen as a life saver, not a dream killer. Hopefully your colleagues can create something truly original.

Comment to Meghan Bassett

Meghan Bassett says:
May 4, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Wk1 Reading: Copyright Issues
Being an Art Teacher, I always worry about my students copying work. In fact, one of my 4 rules in my classroom is no copying or ‘borrowing’ previously created characters. I do allow my students one project where they can use what they want, but that doesn’t get published anywhere.
The film brought up a great point when it comes to music. I sometimes hear a song and could swear I had heard it before. At times I have taken the time to think about it, at pinpoint what part of the song I recognized in the other song. They use such similar elements that it has to be so complicated to make a copyright infringement decision.
That being said, how much more recognizable would our work be, and how more into our work would our students be, if we could use samples of music that they can relate to? Not saying we should or could use them, but I think as far as education goes, it would be extremely useful if we could. For my screenflow videos, I use the tools taught to me in Music Theory and try to create my own music. In theory this is a great idea, but it’s time consuming and not always what I want.
I have to look a little more into artwork copyright laws at least for my students sake. My students aren’t obviously trying to steal anything from other artists, but are trying to emulate them to learn their techniques.
Reply

Judy De Los Santos says:
May 7, 2011 at 12:33 am

Creativity and using original characters is something I use in my classroom as well. some students tend to look at their neighbor’s paper and do what they are doing. This would be a great time to discuss copyright issues to them, but first, we must understand them ourselves. As you well know, artists are notorious for “liberating” ideas from other artists, yet many do create something truly original.

No comments:

Post a Comment